Monday, September 28, 2009

Why God?

There are times in life when I question my faith. Walking down the street I wonder, “Am I crazy to believe in God? What if there is no God and I’m wasting my whole life.”

Seriously. I aim to shape my life around a guy who lived thousands of years ago. Tell me that isn’t crazy.

After these sudden “reality checks” when I stop feeling woozy the puzzle pieces come together. I look around at the people on the street and I see the sense of loss, lack of fulfillment, struggles, suffering, emptiness and vanity. I see these things in myself.

When I look into the eyes and hearts of our world the truth, for me, settles in. Christians for centuries have called the message of Jesus the “gospel”. Sounds weird eh? Like gospel hour or gospel truth. But the word means good news…really?

It’s funny how Jesus’ message gets lost in translation. We often hear the Christian message and feel guilt, manipulation and power with no regard for individuals. It’s anything but good news. Try depressing.

Recently I read the mission of a Christian organization, which was to “save souls”. Really? That’s all people are…souls? That’s the good news of Jesus, a transfer of funds, from hell to heaven with no regard for us as people? Is that the kind of God we believe in?

It’s too bad that the person of Jesus and His message gets lost in translation. As I read about Jesus and know Him personally I am convinced that He is “good news.” Who doesn’t need mercy, forgiveness, grace, healing and a new start in life, again and again?

When I think, “am I crazy to believe in God”, the answer is yes. It is crazy, totally. Any kind of faith is crazy. The only thing that makes faith reasonable and worthwhile is what we have faith in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home